Amsterdam is a poem of harmony between man and nature. Else how could they have possibly made such a pretty place out of reclaimed land from the sea? Everyday I am inspired by the beauty of this place. White frozen canals, snow on the sidewalks, brick houses, lonely bridges... its like a painter paints this town afresh everyday.
The romantic canals define the beauty of this place. Especially in the winters when they are frozen. What could be more perfect than standing hand in hand on a bridge on a canal and watching the moon go down.... or sitting on a bench by sparkling water and seeing the sun set. You can see a thousand stars in the water during day when the sun's rays fall on it, and another thousand you can see in the sky at night.
The sky too is different from the Indian sky. It seems closer... The clouds are thicker and whiter. And the airplanes cutting across them, leaving a trail of their presence makes it look like we have a say in what nature throws at us.
The view from my window at home makes me want to write. There is a small lake, trees around it, a lonely dirt path and a bench on it. Postcard pretty. I regret that its too cold to spend a peaceful evening on the bench looking at the ducks in the lake and contemplating the meaning of life.
And the view from my office window is (sign) equally enchanting. I can see a church, a canal and windmills (not the wooden ones though). I can see tall buildings and the train station too, but because the rest of it is so pretty, I am ready to discount them!
And amidst all the romance and beauty, I am all alone :(
Amsterdam is indeed “cold” and beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment